Thursday, March 6, 2008

Book 7 - Cursor's Fury by Jim Butcher

Some of you may know Jim Butcher from his Dresden Files books - hardboiled detective stories with a wizard(!). I picked them up for my hubby and got somewhat hooked myself. So I thought I'd give his fantasy series a whirl.

Cursor's Fury is the third in the Codex Alera. Tell you what, I've got to stop reading middle books in fantasy series 'cause it means I have to review the whole thing! :( They're not bad reads, although I don't think the concept is as unique as that of his Dresden books.

Aleran people all have a connection to an elemental, or "fury", that gives them supernatural powers related to wind/water/fire/earth. Tavi stands out - not only is he an orphan, he has no fury and is considered a freak and weakling. This makes things tough, especially on the border of Alera where steadholds are under constant threat from wild animals, furies, and the savage Marat. Despite this he manages to pull off some amazing stunts, and the actions of Tavi, his aunt and uncle attract plenty of attention from Alerans and Marat alike. Not to mention his mysterious past and the secrets they all keep (dum dum DUM!)

By the third book, Tavi has completed training to be a cursor (spy) for the First Lord, and is sent for his first post to be an officer in newly formed legion that is never expected to see action. Of course it comes under attack from a greater threat even than the Marat, and when all the senior officers are killed Tavi must take control. Which he does admirably - displaying amazing leadership skills which speak of his mysterious heritage.....!

The battle scenes are quite good, Butcher has a knack for describing how different types of armies such as legions would fight. For me this is the best element. For some reasons his characters don't quite grab me so I find it hard to get going, especially at the start of each book when things are slow.

All in all, the Codex Alera books are not a bad read. Not brilliant, but good to take in your bag on a bus trip, or when you don't want to think TOO hard.... 3 out of 5 from me.

No comments: